Planning to pop the question and make the live changing plans of your dreams on December 31? It’s such a great idea as we bid “So Long” to annus horribilis 2020 and hope for a better 2021 (crossing fingers and toes). Here are some reasons why you definitely picked the right time and a few ideas.
Why you Should Propose on New Year’s Eve
There are many times throughout the year that can be marked as the perfect day for proposing. But honestly, many pale in comparison the magic surrounding a New Year’s Eve proposal. If you not convinced as to why proposing as the ball drops may be the perfect moment for your big questions, here are a few reasons to consider.
1. The Symbolic Meaning
You’re about to embark on a new journey already with the beginning of the New Year approaching– why not start a new journey in your relationship as well? The speech basically writes itself as you talk about starting a new life together in the New Year. It’ll definitely be a moment she’ll never forget.
2. Your partner will already be dressed up
While some of us won’t admit it, we all secretly hope that we’ll look drop-dead gorgeous during our proposal (that’s why my friend intercepted me right before mine and had me change out of a sweat shirt). But New Year’s Eve is the night people love to don that classy cocktail dress, that super fun and sparkly party outfit or a timeless tuxedo. When the inevitable picture of your partner saying “YES!” will be snapped, you will both LOVE that you looked fun and amazing!
3. You can share the moment with friends
It can be a headache to organize all your loved ones in one place randomly throughout the year if you want to share in your proposal. But this New Year’s Eve gives you the perfect excuse to be able to propose in front of you and your partner’s favorite people with Zoom! If your love is a people person or someone who values sharing moments with friends and family, they will definitely enjoy being the center of attention and also the fact that they have a few less people to call with the news.
4. You already have toasting on standby
For many couples, toasting to the next step in their relationship comes later at an engagement party or when telling the parents over dinner. However for New Year’s Eve proposers, chances are you’ll already have champagne. Toasting is an extra special touch to seal the perfect moment.
5. You can’t forget your Proposal-versary
Let’s face it– it can be hard to remember your wedding anniversary and engagement date once you have built a life with kids and already need to remember everyone’s birthdays. So why make it hard on yourself? If you propose on New Year’s Eve 2020, you’ll never ever forget when that special moment happened.
3 Amazing New Year’s Eve Proposal Ideas
1. Pre-game proposal. OK, you’re probably not actually going to a game, especially this year, but you know what I mean. Before everything is all about glitter and lights find a moment during the day to ask the big question. This way they can show off that new ring at whatever plans you have for later in the day. How about a scavenger hung on New Year’s Eve afternoon? You can make your partner visit the places of your favorite dates or significant spots from the year, and then pick a new spot for the new chapter of your life.
2. Party, party! What’s New Year’s Eve without a party? Whether you’re at home alone with noise-makers and hats or at your parents house attending a fancy Zoom shin-dig with friends, there’s nothing better than celebrating it in style. Wherever you may be, propose before the big midnight countdown when the time is right and everyone isn’t focused on yelling out numbers and kissing their sweetie. Besides, then when the time comes you’ll be kissing your fiancé, not just your girlfriend/boyfriend.
3. 12:01AM. This may seem silly, but why propose at midnight in 2020. Wait until that first minute of 2021 has passed and then propose into the new year. Talk about how it’s full of opportunities and how you don’t want to spend ANOTHER minute of the New Year without your fiance. Talk about original and sweet!
Nikki, Emily and Sev